Move Fast and Make Things!
Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world’s most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is currently seeking a Senior Automation and Controls Engineer to join our Engineering team at our Burlington, MA facility. As a Senior Automation and Controls Engineer, you will be the key contributor to the team responsible for taking our unique in-house LPBF process to a factory scale.
Your initial primary focus will be the hands-on commissioning and troubleshooting of new equipment and its integration into the production environment. The role will evolve to include recent development efforts related to continuous process improvement and managing rollouts of equipment upgrades.
- Developing, integrating, testing, commissioning, and support of automation and control hardware and software for industrial-scale metal additive manufacturing (AM) machines and support equipment
- Developing and optimizing machine data transfer and collection systems for the AM production ecosystem
- You will play a crucial role in our effort to build the world’s most productive additive manufacturing system.
- Working with cross-disciplinary team members to maximize the efficiency and reliability of these systems
- BS or MS in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, or relevant field
- Experience should span all facets of modern industrial control systems, including but not limited to single and multi-axis coordinated motion control, safety systems, HMI, data collection, process monitoring, industrial networks and communications using various protocols, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with the design, development, commissioning, and troubleshooting of both hardware and software associated with control systems for various industrial manufacturing equipment and processes.
- Experience with automation platforms such as B&R (preferred), Beckhoff, or others
- Demonstrated ability to program in at least three IEC 61131-3 languages: LD, SFC, FBD, CFC, and ST (ST and SFC preferred)
- Comfortable with the use of version control software (e.g., GitHub) in a multi-developer project environment
- Experience with reading and generating electrical schematics, selection and sizing of control system and power distribution components, directing the assembly of electrical control panels that meet applicable electrical design and safety standards (e.g., NFPA 79 or IEC 60204-1)
- Experience with a wide variety of sensors and actuators and the ability to select/recommend the best for a particular application
- You have demonstrated an understanding and experience designing and tuning closed-loop systems to control position, pressure, flow, and temperature.
- Experience with generating precise system-level documentation: SW design, Root cause analysis, and Engineering Change Orders.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a strong desire to take work from concept to completion Additive Manufacturing (AM) or Laser Welding experience
- Experience with Additive Manufacturing methods like Powder Bed Fusion (PBF) or Directed Energy Deposition (DED), or Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
- Highly motivated, a strong independent worker, creative, and willing to learn.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup company environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- Flexible work schedule
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.