Makelab was born out of a need to 3D print. Christina & Manny started out as Industrial Designers from Pratt, freelancing and working with clients to develop their product ideas and concepts. They found the need to 3D print a lot, and tried many methods of doing so. They bought a machine to 3D print internally and also tried outsourcing to online AM service platforms, only to realize that both methods were too slow, disconnected, unreliable, and difficult. They found a local business, 3DUniPrint. They loved it so much, Christina & Manny became their top customer in 2016. A year later, they acquired 3DUniPrint and rebranded the business to Makelab.
Ever since, Christina and Manny have made it Makelab’s mission to make product development easier, faster, and overall better.
MAKELAB’S MISSION & CULTURE
We know the importance of weaving in that human, customer-centric approach into the DNA of Makelab. Makelab is at the junction of creativity and creation. We support our customers’ businesses and empower their projects. We choose to go the extra mile for our customers and really connect those dots for them.
The entire team comes from varying backgrounds, but we have a few things in common- we’re all extremely hard-working, driven to deliver the vision, team-oriented, and process-driven. We like to make things repeatable, and we bond over creative problem-solving at work (and dogs) (and food).
General Lab Manager Position
Find what drives you on a team with a passion for discovery, determination, and innovation. As a growing startup, Makelab thrives on helping our customers achieve their visions and get their products to market faster. We serve a wide range of markets, so if your interests lie along the spectrum of Design, engineering, and the game changing additive manufacturing technologies you’ll find a rewarding role here. For the naturally ambitious, Makelab is a place where you can thrive and amplify your impact on the world.
Makelab is seeking a creative and results-oriented General Manager, to lead our team from our Brooklyn, NY additive manufacturing site. This is your opportunity to take an active role in discovering and mastering next-generation technologies and deliver a first class service to our fast-growing industrial design clientele.
- Provide daily guidance and day-to-day direction and assistance to the team, including but not limited to, orientation, training and supervision of department staff; assisting with the performance evaluation process; ensuring consistent use of all applicable policies and procedures; and applying performance management.
- Ensure that overall shop cleanliness and organization is kept.
- Organize & maintain systems needed for daily operations- inventories, databases, file systems, order systems, playbooks, wiki’s, etc.
- Oversee & assist with change management in workplace, workflow, and procedures to ensure proper transitions and guidance to team.
- Ensure that workflows, projects, and orders are carried out & completed, per customer requests & to Makelab high quality standards.
- When needed, contact partners & manufacturers to troubleshoot errors & issues
- Define & track quarterly and annual goals and align with company and department goals
- Assist with projects, research and other duties as assigned by the senior leadership.
- Handle customer support escalation cases & tickets
- Enforce lab safety rules and procedures, share best practices, and supervise team + intern equipment use as needed
- Stay current on all safety lab practices and procedures
- Oversee and coordinate the development of training processes for team members in the form of written/electronic documentation and tutorials for standard lab operations
- Manage budgets & spending for daily operations & inventory
- Cultivate highly collaborative working relationships with team to ensure that projects are managed in accordance with Makelab’s standard practices
- Promote, nurture, and advance a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive learning & creative environment.
- Assist in updating Makelab website content
- Identify opportunities for deeper collaboration with OEMs
- Help to develop & standardize operations at a systemic and company-wide level
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, industrial design, architecture, or related technical discipline
- Minimum 5 years of related industry experience
- Demonstrated consistent high performance at the manager level.
- Previous experience teaching/coordinating/managing a maker space or fabrication laboratory
- excellent presentation skills
- Organizational skills
- Written & verbal communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Must have basic knowledge ofMicrosoft Office
- Google Suite
- Adobe Suite
- Working knowledgeExcel/Google Sheets
- Parametric and or Mesh 3D modeling
- Knowledge of 3D printing materials and use cases.
- Teaching/Mentoring/Coaching experience
- Knowledge of fabrication techniques and educational programming that includes but is not limited to engineering, robotics, programming, CAD, 3D printing, and fabrication skills.
- Knowledge of safety procedures on the use and maintenance of equipment, tools and components
- Proficient with 3D printers, digital scanning equipment, laser cutters and their supporting software
- Knowledge of budgeting, data tracking, equipment inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Leadership, project management, and team building experience and skills in a technical discipline(s).
- Distinct track record of operational excellence, setting and achieving aggressive short and long-term goals in dynamic, high-urgency, high-growth environments.
- Prior experience communicating department vision and strategy in bold, persuasive terms to gain consensus within the organization and from external stakeholders.
- Experience balancing business needs versus technical risk and resource constraints.
- Ability to work well in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with students, faculty and staff with varying degrees of skills and backgrounds
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and an eagerness to help.
- Master’s Degree in a STEM or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training.
- In-depth knowledge of additive manufacturing processes and technologies, including equipment, materials and tools.
- 3+ years Experience working in a Makerspace, Innovation Lab, or other design focused workspace
- Strong materials science, product development foundation
- Working knowledge of equipment repair and maintenance processes for manual and powered tools and machinery.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com