Website General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc.
Defense, Drones, Aviation, Aerospace, UAS,Additive Manufacturing
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and proactive Additive Manufacturing (AM) Application Development Engineer in our AM department located in Poway, CA. This position will occupy a strategic role in the growth of AM at GA-ASI, by supporting current and next generation UAS platform development leveraging a variety of AM technologies and materials. This position will connect with a wide range of programs to work closely with our internal stakeholders to identify potential AM applications, perform business and technical benefit assessment and trade, as well as driving the establishment of AM application development scope of work in collaboration with the AM project engineer. This role will also act as an internal business development strategic intelligence that will guide Leadership to drive internal R&D, AM equipment planning, staffing plan, as well as drive the outward-facing knowledge transfer initiatives with our internal stakeholders.
Although it is part of the Aircraft Systems Manufacturing group, this position will be a key interface role between various other internal and external stakeholders such as Quality Engineering, Materials & Processes Engineering, Program Management, Special Programs, Design Engineering, Service and Supply Chain management. It will also interface and work closely with multiple programs within the greater GA&A company (other divisions of GA). This position will act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) to help integrate AM applications into GA-ASI’s products and processes, as part of the Center of Excellence mission statement. This position will provide the candidate with an opportunity to be at the forefront and key contributor to the growth of plastics, metals, tooling and composites AM at GA-ASI.
This position will require the ability to obtain a security clearance.
DUTES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) on best industry practices for AM capability (how and where to use different AM technologies, and what it takes to implement those technologies)
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) on AM technologies in a production environment. Technologies of interest/covered would be (but not limited to): Fused Deposition Modeling – FDM, Selective Laser Sintering – SLS, Laser Powder Bed Fusion – LPBF, Binder Jet (sand), LSAM/BAAM, Direct Energy Deposition – Wired (DED-W), SLA, DLP, MJF and other AM technologies.
- Key interface for application development and discovery support with engineering stakeholders such as design, program management, quality, materials & process and metrology.
- Perform business trade studies on new application potentials, leveraging internal AM and Non-AM capabilities and resources, as well as external partners/suppliers.
- Develop project technical AM scope of work based on interactions with the engineering stakeholders, and work closely with AM project engineering to drive AM projects/applications to completion.
- Keep records of project engagements, technical application best practices and lessons learned, and develop associated AM application growth metrics and best reporting practices for visibility at AM MFG group, stakeholders and leadership levels, up to executive level.
- Participate and drive communication initiative to promote AM knowledge transfer and awareness across the GA&A company.
- Develop strategic plan, based on the pool of applications funnel and engaged programs, to support R&D, staffing, equipment procurement and technology/material qualification roadmap plan in support of AM leadership.
- Develop, maintain and communicate AM application library using intranet tools/platforms.
Closely work with all internal AM technology work cells and AM Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, M&P, Stress engineering, and other internal stakeholders to ensure best project flow.
- Support AM manufacturing engineers with their respective AM technology, to identify process and material gaps and/or improvement, develop strategies to close them, and participate in their implementation plans in support of AM project engineering.
- Work closely with procurement, production planning and logistics stakeholder in the execution of AM application projects.
- Participate, support and drive multiple R&D projects connected to application development efforts.
Closely work with DfAM engineering to assess and support new applications development efforts and provide guidance on best approaches to AM designs.
- Support technology exploration, assessment, qualification and incubation up to transfer into production and/or into the supply chain.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; ten or more years of experience with a technical degree in manufacturing, six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent AM engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Extensive working knowledge of various AM industrial and prototyping technologies relevant to this role (e.g. FDM/FFF, SLS, LPBF/DLM/DMLS/DMLM, DED, EBM, BJT, and others) and their associated post-processing workflows. A minimum of 5 years in industrial AM is required.
- Direct experience with AM application development workflows for either aviation, aerospace, space, defense industries is highly valued.
- Direct experience with AM production industrial environment (production-level AM), specifically with FDM and/or SLS and/or metal-LPBF production printers is required.
- Ability and interest in learning and mastering new AM technologies, in alignment with GA-ASI’s AM roadmap and upcoming applications.
- Direct experience with conventional mechanical CAD designs, DfAM, drawings and GD&T.
- Direct experience with engineering project management
To apply for this job email your details to Daniel-Steve.Fournier@ga-asi.com