Website AMT-The Association For Manufacturing Technology
Principal, Market Research (Full Time) – McLean, VA
About the team:
AMT’s strategic analytics team is responsible for planning, producing, and delivering market research and industry benchmarking surveys to customers ranging from high-growth startups to multinational corporations. With a foundation in economics as well as traditional metal cutting and forming technologies, the team is expanding coverage to include emerging technologies such as additive manufacturing, robotics, automation, and industrial software. You’ll be surrounded by a growing strategic analytics team based in McLean, VA with backgrounds as diverse as hard tech, investment banking, economics, aerospace engineering, consulting, and political science. The strategic analytics team collaborates with DevOps, audience development, content, marketing, membership and sales, exhibitions, and global services teams to grow AMT’s customer base, industry engagement, and thought leadership.
About the role:
Principals are immersed in AMT’s proprietary market research products alongside independent sources to support hundreds of the top companies in the industry. Principals lead a compelling research agenda in collaboration with other team members and deliver insights to industry leaders looking to make strategic decisions with confidence. Principals join AMT with an existing personal brand in relevant industries and will regularly attend and participate in trade shows and conferences to expand that presence. Principals are expected to be interdisciplinary experts and thought leaders across a combination of technology, business, finance, and entrepreneurship topics. Unfamiliar topics are reinforced in this role in order to create a breadth of expertise areas that supports customer as well as AMT needs at a high level. That expertise also supports customers that need semi-custom project scoping, proposal work, and execution. While not a sales role, sales experience is as valuable as consulting experience in supporting customers. Successful individuals in this role have the option to pursue career growth as either an individual contributor or research team manager. Additionally, Principals will help onboard new associates and analysts as needed and have the option to select and manage interns.
- Lead research agenda and conduct select research using a wide range of sources including business and trade press, market reports, interviews, conference presentations, surveys, academic publications and patent filings
- Build relationships with AMT’s market research subscribers and the broader industry; develop a thorough understanding and informed opinions of relevant topics in the manufacturing technology industry in order to become a trusted thought leader internally and externally
- Carry out semi-custom research projects from opportunity identification through proposal, execution, and delivery. Produce and present standard market research in order to become and stay current
- Attend and often participate in trade shows and other industry events as an AMT representative; visibility through hosting, moderating, or participating in conference programs is expected
- Support AMT events by collaborating with other teams to help create as well as participate in conference agendas
- Collaborate internally to prioritize market research tasks, subscriber needs, and team development; develop insights into improving market research offerings and/or operational improvements in delivering those offerings as well as identify opportunities for new product or service offerings
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or economics discipline; relevant graduate degrees preferred
- Minimum of six years’ experience in some combination of product development, business development, consulting, technical or market research, or similar functions requiring critical thinking and problem-solving skills; experience gained while enrolled in a full-time relevant graduate degree considered.
- Strong listening, writing, and speaking abilities as well as attention to detail and organization; writing ability includes coverage of business and technical topics; demonstrated writing or speaking examples in the public domain expected
- The role requires a collaborative approach within the research team where success is defined by meeting client needs as a group
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; familiarity with business analytics and data visualization packages helpful but not expected (PowerBI, SQL, Tableau, etc…)
- Project management, entrepreneurship, or financial modeling experience helpful but not expected
- Medical | Dental | Vision coverage – 100% of premiums covered for employees and eligible dependents
- Optional Work From Home Wednesdays
- 5 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Winter Break and select holidays
- 401k Plan (100% company match up to 6%, no vesting period)
- Free drinks/snacks/lunch catered monthly
Equal Opportunity Employer
AMT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition or any other reason protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.