Women in 3D Printing’s mission is to increase the visibility of women in the Additive Manufacturing industry and encourage more women to use 3D Printing technologies. We have been doing so by highlighting female leaders and innovators on our platform since 2014. To provide even more insights on female experts in the Additive Manufacturing Industry, we are inviting women to contribute to this series by sharing their business and tech expertise through guest blog posts to be published as Industry Insiders and “How To?” series.
Marisa Reece is a copywriter specializing in 3D printing. She helps 3DP companies educate and inform clients with clear, concise, and compelling marketing copy. Marisa’s teaching and communications backgrounds give her the skill to engage audiences and turn complex ideas into easy-to-understand concepts. She continually studies the market to see where the 3DP industry is headed. By anticipating the future, she helps her clients stay in front of this fast moving field. Her interests in 3D printing, writing, and jewelry design reflect Marisa’s artistic nature. And she loves to travel. You can connect with her on LinkedIn or by email at email@example.com.
3D printing is surrounded by intrigue. Lots of people have heard of it but don’t know what it can do for them. Actually… A Lot!
It starts with your imagination. Let’s go over a few ideas…
- For example, you’re a DIY person with a broken doorknob you can’t find a replacement for. Why not just make one? Create a doorknob custom-made to your specifications.
- Or, you need to buy a gift for a special occasion. Why settle on something ordinary when you could make it personal and meaningful? If your gift recipient is a golf enthusiast for example, a personalized custom putter would be a wonderful treat!
- Let’s not stop with the adults though. You know kids love toys, but how do you find something unique? A 3D printed toy is guaranteed to capture their imagination. You could even involve them in the design, bringing their ideas to life.
- Home décor is another exciting area to explore. Candle and incense holders, fruit bowls, lampshades, picture frames, flowerpots, money holders, ashtrays, your own signature cutlery and much, much more.
- Maybe you are into one-of-a-kind jewelry designs. Now you can create your very own signature pieces. It could even become a home business!
Some of the media buzz makes 3D printing sound technical and complicated, but it’s actually quite easy.
3 Simple Steps…
- Start with an Idea – Decide what you want to make.
- Create the Design – CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software is readily available and makes it a snap. For beginners, TinkerCAD, 3D Slash or Vectary are excellent choices. For the intermediate and advanced users – Rhino3D, Solidworks, ZBrush and Blender might be a better choice.
- Print it – Use your personal 3D printer or a 3D printing service of your choice like – Sculpteo, Shapeways, Formlabs or Print To 3D.
Ever wish something in your home was a different color? Made of a stronger material? Or had a distinctive look and texture? Another reason 3D printing is the perfect platform. You can choose plastic, wood, metal, clay, nylon, or other “filaments” to get exactly what you want. It’s win-win!
What to do now…
To help you get started, check out these awesome websites:
Some have free designs to choose from, and all offer great ideas.
3D printing allows virtually unlimited creativity. It’s as simple as looking around, deciding what you’d like to make or improve, and then doing it.
So go ahead, it’s time to ignite your imagination and explore the wonders of 3D printing.